Premier League-linked defender David Alaba has confirmed that he will leave Bayern Munich this summer.
Alaba will walk away from Allianz Arena upon the expiration of his current contract on June 30, bringing to an end his 13-year stay in Bavaria.
The 28-year-old was offered the chance to extend his stay at Bayern, but has instead opted to seek a new challenge away from Germany.
What was said?
Alaba told reporters on Tuesday: “It was not an easy decision. I have been here for 13 years and the association is really close to my heart. I am very grateful to the association for many things.
“I took my time because it’s not an easy decision to make overnight. I decided to do something new – a new challenge.
“Money has not been a factor in my decision.”
Who has been linked with Alaba?
A number of top clubs across Europe have been credited with an interest in Alaba in recent months, including Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.
The likes of Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus have also been tipped to make a move for the Austrian, but Real Madrid has been mooted as his most likely next destination.
It has been reported that Alaba has already reached an agreement to join the Blancos on a free transfer at the end of the current campaign, but his father refused to be drawn on speculation when quizzed on his son’s future last month.
George Alaba told Sport 1: “A decision has not yet been made and David has not yet signed with Real. Besides Real, there are other clubs that are interested in him.
“For him what counts is that he wants to concentrate fully on Bayern and his performance.”
More to follow.